There are many small details that can be added to model railroads to improve the design. The following ones are ideas for any layout for it to depict a real railroad system.
- Decorate your locomotive with graffiti.
- Using Sobo glue for windows makes them look real.
- Make handrails for F units out of brass wire.
- Spray the windshield with a dull coat to render it the frosted look.
- Weathering is essential for all trains.
- Use rubber from old tires to make wheels.
- Add lights and sound effects.
- Give carriages a dusty and old look.