A double yard has both ends connected to the main track. This is accomplished with a ladder that guides the train onto one of the many tracks in the yard. The components of an ideal yard should include a runaround track, one arriving and one departing track, thoroughfare that connects ladders in a yard, classification tracks and drill track. The following points must be followed.
- Do not block the main line. Limit your turnouts to two to achieve this.
- A runaround track is a must.
- The switch leads of the yard and track must be separate.
- Use a wye track for turnings.
- Do not pack the yard with trains.